Our next 10 Week Self-Defense Academy for Adults is starting on Saturday 23 July 2016.
The C.O.B.R.A.â„¢ 10 Week Academy is a medium term training course where students train intensely for 2 hours every Saturday over a 10 week period. Participants who complete the course receive an internationally recognized certificate and C.O.B.R.A.â„¢Â Graduate t-shirt.
This is not a traditional martial art, it is law enforcement (police) based training system. There are thus no traditional martial arts uniforms, formalities, protocol or foreign languages used. There are no katas, no competitions, medals or trophies. C.O.B.R.A.â„¢ Self-Defense courses are presented in United States Police Academy format with emphasis on scenario based training to teach students how to defend themselves in real life situations. In scenario training, situations are simulated where students experience the same type of â€œAdrenalin dumpâ€ and â€œunknown factorsâ€ as they would experience during a real life attack. Students have to face a â€œbad guyâ€ dressed in protective gear and students then have to think on their feet, assess the situation, control their fear/anxiety and apply what they have learned to secure the required outcome. Great emphasis is placed on the mental preparation for an attack and how to function through fear and confusion.
Training topics include:
- How criminals select their victims
- Pre-attack indicators and how to avoid becoming a victim
- Conflict avoidance and verbal de-escalation skills
- Aspects the criminal always try to control and how to counter this
- Improvised weapons
- Anti-abduction techniques
- Physical defense techniques against the most common unarmed and armed attacks
- Combat fitness drills
- Exciting scenario training where participants apply what they have learned in simulated real life scenarios against attackers in padded suits (very exciting and a firm favourite guaranteed to get the Adrenalin flowing!).