Empower your Security Personnel With Award Winning Self-Defense Training
Be Safe. Be Smart. Be Empowered.
A unique working environment demands unique training
As an officer, deputy or agent of any kind it is vital to stay ahead of the game when it involves officer safety vs criminal elements. To increase officer skillset and tactical knowledge, it is important to supplement and add to the industry minimum training.
C.O.B.R.A.™ was developed to get to the core of how to win in just about any and all situations. We offer intense, structured training to groups and individuals in the public safety, law enforcement, parole, corrections, security & bodyguard fields.
Our training is cutting edge and intense. It will give the officer a greater sense of security, not only to be more effective on the job, but to win — no matter what. Often the state-mandated training that many receive from a book or in an academy, while well-intended, just isn’t enough. Conditioning and controlling officer tactical skills and emotions are a pre-requisite to winning a confrontation.
While many believe “a bigger gun wins the shoot out” we know and teach “learning how to use your skill under intense stress and fatigue is how you win.”
Protection Specialist training curriculum
- Understanding what self-defense is and what it is not.
- Self-Defense myth busting.
- 4-Types of Attackers and what motivates them.
- Recognizing pre-attack indicators of the different types of attackers.
- Use of demeanor and voice to minimize the risk of attack.
- Verbal Conflict De-escalation Skills.
- Elements that the anti-social attacker/criminal has full control over.
- Action versus reaction principle as critical tool for effective self-protection.
- The AAA Principle as a tool to recognizing and responding to a threat.
- Mindset required of protective personnel vs mindset required by the public.
- Stances & movement.
- Effective striking against unarmed and armed attackers.
- Defense against common strikes and kicks.
- Escapes from common grabs, holds and chokes.
- Unarmed restraint techniques.
Defense Against Weapons
- Defense against common knife threats / attacks and restraining the attacker.
- Defense against common fire-arm threats and restraining the attacker.
- Dealing with an active shooter situation.
- Defense against attacks with sticks/clubs/batons and restraining the attacker.
- Weapon retention drills.
- Defensive & offensive techniques using improvised weapons.
- Unarmed Combat conditioning drills.
- Simulated practical scenarios to apply newly learned techniques under pressure.
Developed from real law enforcement experience
C.O.B.R.A.™ was developed by Chris Sutton and is based on his extensive experience as a Police and Maximum Security Corrections Officer.
Chris’s extensive martial arts training as well as his law enforcement experience dealing with real criminals have given him highly unique insights into the reality of self-defense. Chris has used this expertise to create the acclaimed C.O.B.R.A.™ reality-based self-defense system, as well as influencing his other martial arts programs, fitness programs & books.
Chris is a Joe Lewis Fighting Systems Black Belt and has trained in numerous Asian/ American Martial Art systems earning multiple ranks. After many years in the Asian arts, Chris studied under Heavyweight World Champion Kickboxer Jim Graden, with further influence from the legendary champion Joe Lewis in the Elite Kickboxing System earning another Black Belt.
Summary of Additional Professional Experience
- Certified and Experienced Law Enforcement Officer, City, and County
- Deputy Sheriff – Patrol Operations
- Corrections Officer – Maximum Security / Special Operations Division
- Boot Camp Drill Instructor- Law Enforcement Division
- Founder – COBRA-DEFENSE International / COBRA Fighting Systems
- Certified NRA Firearms Instructor I.D.# 101000208167132.
- Creator COBRA Fit Kickboxing
- Joe Lewis Fighting Systems Black Belt
- Elite Kickboxing Blackbelt – Jim Graden
- World Championship Martial Arts Black Belt – Jim Graden
- Founder Self-Defense Professional Magazine
- Creator of The Active Shooter Response Plan & Bully Response Plan
- Head Instructor United MA Academy
- 15 Time Gold Medalist in the I.L.E.G. Olympic Games
- Self-Defense Representative at AT & T Stadium, Kids Day America
- Author, The Psychology of Self Defense & The Fight For Success Series
- Author, You Can’t Tap Out in Real Life
Presented by a seasoned security risk expert
Leon Myburgh is a full-time professional self-defense instructor with over 25 years of experience in protective services. As a former Military Counter Intelligence Officer and Corporate Security Manager for various Blue-Chip Companies in one of the most violent countries in the world, he is well versed in all aspects of personal protection and security risk mitigation.
He’s been featured on various South African radio and TV shows and is a sought-after corporate self-defense trainer for global companies. Leon is the author of Survive the Predator: Modern Day Strategies for Defending Your Family Against Violent Criminal Attack.
He started his martial arts journey in 1977 and attained his Junior Black Belt in Goju Ryu Karate at age 11. In addition to being an Internationally Certified Personal & Group Fitness Trainer, he is a Certified Instructor in Krav Maga, COBRA Self-Defense Systems, COBRA Fighting Systems and COBRA Fitness Kickboxing. Leon was awarded a Black Belt in COBRA Fighting Systems under Chris Sutton who trained under World Champions such as Joe Lewis, John & Jim Graden.
As the Regional Director for C.O.B.R.A. Defense International in South Africa, he is responsible for promoting and expanding the brand footprint in South Africa. He serves as the local point of contact and instructor development for South African Instructors.