Thorburn Security Solutions is a premium service provider with expertise in total facilities management. Thorburn partner with their clients to effectively become an extension of their business support services. By designing, implementing and executing their clients’ day-to-day and project based management operations, they create conducive environments for their clients to focus on their core business.
In keeping with their reputation for providing quality services to their clients and taking ownership in the safety of their employees, Thorburn Management contracted C.O.B.R.A.™ Self-Defense South Africa to train their personnel in our Protection Specialist Self-Defense Course. The Security Officers who completed the training are deployed at Webber Wentzel, a major South African Legal Firm.
Security personnel are always at risk of facing a potential violent confrontation and this course is aimed specifically at training security officers how to detect, prevent and respond to potential violent confrontations. The training comes from real law enforcement experience and was developed by a former United States Sheriff, Maximum Security Corrections Officer and Multiple Black Belt Martial Artist. During the 4-hour course, Security Personnel received training in the following topics:
• Elements that the attacker/criminal has full control over;
• Action versus reaction principle;
• 4 Main categories of attackers and how to deal with each;
• The AAA Principle as critical tool for Officer Safety;
• Common pre-indicators of an attack;
• Conflict avoidance – use of demeanor and voice to minimize the risk of being attacked;
• Defense against common knife attacks and restraining the attacker;
• Defense against common fire-arm attacks and restraining the attacker;
• Defense against attacks with sticks/clubs/batons and restraining the attacker;
• Escaping chokes & bear hugs and restraining the attacker;
• Basic defensive techniques using improvised weapons
• Scenario training.
C.O.B.R.A.™ Self-Defense South Africa is part of C.O.B.R.A.™ Defense International which is a global company and recognized as the leader in law enforcement-based self-defense training. C.O.B.R.A.™ has trained thousands of clients across multiple industries ranging from Mining to Cruise ships and has been featured in local and international media as the premier resource for reality based self-defense training.
Leon Myburgh, Regional Director for C.O.B.R.A.™ in South Africa said: “We teach men, women, children, groups and corporations both small and large how to realistically protect themselves in today’s world and anyone can learn it no matter what their experience level. Many people believe that self-defense is all about the ability to fight, but nothing could be further from the truth. The ability to recognize pre-attack indicators and the skills how to avoid and de-escalate a potential violent situation are the most important skills any person can learn”